The fun and fine details about Staffing
6 Tips for Keeping a Tidy Workstation
It’s Monday morning, and your boss asks for the job applications that were left on your desk last Friday afternoon. Your palms get sweaty as you see the piles of cluttered files decorating your wooden desk. The request must get done in a timely fashion, but were do you begin? There’s no one around to shuffle through these batches of documents, and if a volunteer were to miraculously appear, would you even know were to direct their search? Sound familiar? Read on to learn some indispensable tips for maintaining a clean and orderly work environment.
6 Tips for Make Your Workstation Nice & Neat
1. Don’t let files pile-up. Review important documents and file accordingly. You may choose to label or color-code folders for easy file access. A pending or “to do” folder also comes in handing for miscellaneous files that require attention at a later time or date. Review the pending file on a daily basis, discarding any unwanted or outdated files. Keeping your filing system up-to-date is essential for good organization skills.
2. Remove Clutter. Items that are not serving a purpose, nor augmenting your workplace décor, most likely classify as “clutter”. Remove unnecessary items that take up space, or halt good workflow. Perhaps you may choose to donate these items to a co-worker, or to a charity organization.
3. Keep your work environment clean. There are many disinfecting agents that help prevent the spread of germs, such as wipes and alcohol sanitizers. Disinfecting wipes are disposable, and come in small containers allowing for easy storage. These handy wipes keep your work area sanitized and spotless!
4. Designate an area for personal items. Select a compartment in your desk, or another place of storage for safekeeping personal items. This keeps your work environment clean, and allows for easy access of personal belongings when needed.
5. Trash the old “sticky notes”. The purpose of sticky notes is to get the job done in promptly fashion, or within the next few days. If you have old sticky notes dating more than a month old, chances are they are not creating the “call-to-action” effect of getting the job done. Dump out the old sticky notes, and use these colorful pads for daily reminders and important notes.
6. Save the meals for the lunchroom. Crumbs and drinks can spill over important files, keyboards, and laptops. Save yourself the pain and the cleanup, by simply making a habit of eating outside the workstation. Most companies offer their staff access to the employee lounge or lunchroom for meals and snacking.
Benefits of Maintaining an Orderly Workspace
1. Easier to locate files and other important documents if the need arises.
2. Allows for safekeeping and prevents the likelihood of lost or misplaced files.
3. Increased productivity. Less company time is utilized for file search.
4. Provides a clean and pleasant work environment for everyone in the office.
5. Easier for other’s to locate important items or documents in the event of your absence.
6. Continuity of productivity when delegating tasks and assignments to others.